Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

>It's a Girl!

>The other day hubby and I went for my 20 week ultrasound. The doctor asked if we wanted to know the gender. With Samantha I did not want to find out at all. But being our apartment is small and saved over 2 years worth of girl clothes my husband convinced me to find out. We are having a little girl.
The doctor checked the baby out and looked at her head, heart, spine and checked the stomach. I have been taking all the tests for down syndrome. Which normally the stats are 1 in 800 chance. After the last ultrasound and bloodwork it turned up 1 in 746 chance that the baby will have down syndrome. However, when I went for this ultrasound they noticed a calcium deposit on her heart. The doctor said normal babies also have it and it does not affect anything. However, it is a marker for down syndrome. So now being that they saw that marker the chance of having a girl with down syndrome doubled.

They gave me the the option of going for the amniocentesis. If I were to get that done, they can tell 100%. However, I have a 1 in 190 chance of losing the baby if I were to get it done. So I would have a better chance of losing the baby than the baby having down syndrome. My husband and I decided a long time ago before Samantha that no matter what happens we will deal with it. So termination is definitely not an option regardless.

So they told me to come back for another ultrasound between 34 and 36 weeks. They say that babies that do have down syndrome, that their intestines do not fully develop. So just incase anything is wrong we have a plan for birth. My doctor is pretty optimistic that there is nothing wrong, so that makes me feel better. But of course the worry is still there.

4 comments:

  1. >Congrats on the Girl! I am having one also in March! We decided not to do any more testing regarding Downs, I didn't want to worry through the rest of my preganancy about the chances, plus een if she is we'll still love her the same! Hows the little oe feel about having a little sister?Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >thanks! Rose is very excited about having a little sister. she sings to the belly and kisses it and hugs it. its very cute. We try not to worry too much about it, the doctor said the it is very unlikely, just like you though, no matter what we will love the baby the same. We are going to go ahead and get the ultrasound at 34 weeks just to be sure the intestines and everything is developed. Just in case so that we can be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >Congratulations. I'm so happy for you guys and I hope all goes well with the rest of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Please leave a comment to post your thoughts