The doctor checked the baby out and looked at her head, heart, spine and checked the stomach. I have been taking all the tests for down syndrome. Which normally the stats are 1 in 800 chance. After the last ultrasound and bloodwork it turned up 1 in 746 chance that the baby will have down syndrome. However, when I went for this ultrasound they noticed a calcium deposit on her heart. The doctor said normal babies also have it and it does not affect anything. However, it is a marker for down syndrome. So now being that they saw that marker the chance of having a girl with down syndrome doubled.
They gave me the the option of going for the amniocentesis. If I were to get that done, they can tell 100%. However, I have a 1 in 190 chance of losing the baby if I were to get it done. So I would have a better chance of losing the baby than the baby having down syndrome. My husband and I decided a long time ago before Samantha that no matter what happens we will deal with it. So termination is definitely not an option regardless.
So they told me to come back for another ultrasound between 34 and 36 weeks. They say that babies that do have down syndrome, that their intestines do not fully develop. So just incase anything is wrong we have a plan for birth. My doctor is pretty optimistic that there is nothing wrong, so that makes me feel better. But of course the worry is still there.